FREDERIC HOFFMANN – THE WESTIN CALGARY
“I was inspired by Tchaikovsky, the fluidity of the ballerinas tutu’s resemble the whipped cream frosting.”
Chocolate Mousse Cake
1 lbs. Dark chocolate coverture
3 tsp. espresso coffee
4.5 oz. sugar
9 oz. 35% cream
½ tsp. vanilla extract
Sour Cherry Compote
1 lb. frozen sour cherries
140 gr. White sugar
40 gr. Kirsch
2 rosemary sprigs
6 juniper berries
Fresh Black Pepper(to taste)
6 oz. cranberry juice
2 oz. Fruit Pectin
35 % whipped Cream
½ cups Icing Sugar
½ Vanilla Bean
For the Chocolate Mousse Cake
• Melt chocolate with coffee in bain marie. Beat eggs, vanilla and sugar for 5 minutes until ribbon stage.
• Add melted chocolate mix to eggs.
• Whisk 35% cream into egg and chocolate mix ture.
• Pour liquid into 8, 4 0z ramekins and set in a bain marie
• Bake at 275F-300F for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hr.
For the Sour Cherry Compote
• Macerate all ingredients including fruit pectin overnight.
• Strain mixture and remove rosemary sprigs and juniper berries.
• Thicken liquid with clear gel over low heat.
• Return cherries to liquid and cool over ice bath.
For the Fresh Chantilly
• Place fresh whipped cream in a bowl with icing sugar, vanilla together until soft peak.
Place mousse cake on a plate. Spoon over Chantilly cream and cherry compote.
Recipe excerpt from the Winter 2012 issue of City Style and Living Magazine.