Makes about 24 cookies
¾ cup (190 ml) salted butter, softened
½ cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
¼ cup (60 ml) brown sugar
¼ cup (60 ml) molasses
2¼ cups (560 ml) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons (30 ml) baking soda
1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground ginger
1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground clove
1. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients: Flour, soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
2. In a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars on medium-high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy and a pale yellow color, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides occasionally as needed.
3. Mix in molasses and eggs one by one, until well incorporated. Gradually add dry ingredients to mixture.
4. Put dough in refrigerator for a few hours. This will help prevent cookies from spreading during baking.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Take approximately one tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Roll dough ball in sugar. Place on baking sheet.
7. Bake cookies for about 10 minutes until golden and cracks appear. Remove from oven and let cool on rack.
This original article first appeared in the Winter 2022/23 issue of City Style and Living Magazine.
Don’t Forget to Follow City Style and Living on Social Channels: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest