Rich, and celebratory, this ultimate chocolate cake is the sort of traditional Italian dessert that feels indulgent for both young and young at heart.
Makes 6-8 servings
¾ cup (190 ml) almond meal
1 cup (250 ml) dark chocolate (65-70% cocoa)
¾ cup (190 ml) butter salted butter, chopped
¾ cup (190 ml) sugar
3 large eggs, separated at room temperature
1 tablespoon (15 ml) vanilla
1 tablespoon (15 ml) amaretto or coffee liqueur (optional)
icing sugar for dusting on top
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175 °C). Line and grease an 8-inch cake tin.
2. Over a bain-marie (double boiler), place a glass bowl with chocolate, careful that the bowl does not touch the water. Stir chocolate until melted and remove from heat. Add butter and stir until melted. Add sugar and almond meal.
3. Cool mixture. Add egg yolks, vanilla, amaretto (or coffee liqueur).
4. In an electric bowl, whip egg whites to soft peaks. Gently fold egg whites through the chocolate mixture.
5. Pour batter into cake tin, and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out with a few moist crumbs. Do not over bake, or the cake will be dry. Sprinkle with icing sugar.
This original recipe first appeared in the Winter 2022/23 issue of City Style and Living Magazine.