Sun, earth, grilling and sweetness – all things that just equal summer fun! CSL has ways you can enjoy all of these things – just a little wiser and with your health in mind: sun worship safely; be kind to the earth by greening your routine; grill to reduce unhealthy compounds while keeping all the flavour; and sweeten your treats with yacon.
1/ TIPS TO SAVE YOUR SKIN
Over 80,000 cases of skin cancer are diagnosed in Canada each year, of which more than 7,200 are melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer.
The need for awareness and increased preventative efforts is greater than ever. That’s why we asked the Save Your Skin Foundation for 3 easy tips to help prevent melanoma:
- Be sun safe by covering up with long sleeves, a hat and SPF sunglasses. Seek shade when the sun is the strongest between 11am and 3pm.
- Protect your skin by applying sunscreen with SPF30 or higher 20 minutes before sun exposure. Reapply every 2 hours, or after swimming or playing sports. An adult should use a golf ball size amount of sunscreen to adequately cover the face and body skin.
- Early detection is very important as skin cancer is most treatable when caught early. Learn how to perform a monthly self skin exam and know the ABCDEFG’s of skin checks. See a doctor immediately if you notice anything that doesn’t look right or causes you concern.
2/ CELEBRATE THE EARTH EVERYDAY
It’s easy to go green with small changes that really do add up to a big difference advises Laura Frecon CEO of Verte Luxe which sells eco-products.
When grocery shopping say no to single-use plastic, look for items that come in glass containers, as glass is much easier to reuse and recycle, keep reusable bags in your car and bring them to the supermarket and select fruits and veggies with zero packaging.
At home, plant an organic garden or potted veggies. This will help to offset your carbon footprint and also adds beauty to your surroundings.
For beauty products, remember that your skin is your largest organ and many products are filled with toxic chemicals that are not only bad for your skin but bad for the planet. Look for beauty products that are natural, organic, vegan and come in sustainable packaging.
3/ MAKE GRILLING HEALTHIER
Whether you fire up the grill or load up the charcoal, the blackened, charred pieces which give meats their signature grilled look may contain cancer-promoting compounds called heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic amines.
Mary Mosquera Cochran, a registered dietician at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center offers a few simple tweaks you can make to keep them to a minimum.
- Limit grill time by defrosting meat first.
- Reduce cooking time by making kebabs.
- Trim fat to prevent dripping which creates smoke.
- Use a marinade that contains vinegar or lemon juice to cut down on flare-ups.
- Flip grilled meat often to prevent dripping juices.
4/ SWEETEN WITH YACON
Yacon is a South American tuber similar in appearance to a sweet potato (with yellow flesh) but related to the sunflower.
With a caramel flavour and deep amber colour, the syrup makes an excellent substitute for maple syrup, molasses or agave.
Considered a low glycemic sweetener it is said to support colon health, improve digestion and contain probiotics. In other words, this may be one sweetener you can feel good about.
Organic Traditions Yacon Syrup, 250ml, $26.35; BuyWell.com
This original article first appeared in the Summer 2019 issue of City Style and Living Magazine.