Makes 1 baguette
160g flour (approximately 6 ounces)
1 pack of dry yeast
100 mL warm water
one teaspoon of salt
1 whisked egg white (optional)
1. Mix flour and yeast. Add the water and mix for one minute. Add the salt, and mix for another 15 minutes.
2. Put the dough in a bowl, cover with a piece of cloth and leave it to rise in a warm place for 20 minutes. Pre-heat the oven to 240 Celsius (460 F).
3. Put the dough on a pastry sheet; give it the shape of a baguette.
4. Cover with a cloth and leave the baguette to rise for another 10 minutes. With a sharp knife, cut 5-6 scars on the baguette.
5. You may brush the top of the dough with whisked egg whites for a golden brown colour (optional).
6. Bake for 30 minutes.
*NOTE: This recipe is easier to prepare in a food processor or kitchen assistant, but can be prepared by hand.
To view more food stories see the Fall 2009 issue of City Style and Living Magazine.