1 plump chicken (3- 4 pounds)
Kosher salt (to your taste and diet)
Freshly ground black pepper (to your taste)
1 healthy bunch of thyme, rosemary (other fresh herbs optional and to your taste)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Rinse the chicken, pat dry with paper towels.
1. Salt and pepper the cavity
2. Devein ¾ thyme, rosemary and any other fresh herbs sprinkle leaves into cavity and on the body of the chicken. Truss the bird (trussing will keep the wings and legs from flopping around while cooking).
3. Place the chicken on a flat surface with the breast side up. Slip a string under the center of the chicken’s back, making sure that the ends are even. Draw the string up on the sides of the chicken around the wings. Pull the string toward you. This will make the wings lay flat against the chicken’s sides.
4. Make an X at the base point of the chicken’s breast, and wrap the string carefully around each drumstick pulling it tight so that the legs of the chicken cross. Pick up the end of the chicken and wrap a string around the chicken lower end, making sure to pull the string tightly until the cavity of the chicken is covered. Tie a knot in the string.
5. Place the chicken with the breast facing up, and bring the ends of the string back to the front of the chicken. Tie a string into a knot and trim of any excess string. Trussing helps the chicken to cook evenly, and it also makes for a more beautiful roasted chicken.
6. Salt the chicken—sprinkle salt from about 6 inches above bird so that salt is evenly distributed, this will give a crisp, salty, flavorful skin. When the chicken cooked, you should still be able to make out the salt baked onto the crisp skin. Season to taste with pepper.
7. Place the chicken in a roasting pan and, once the oven is heated to the 450°F temperature, and place in the oven.
8. Roast for about 50 to 60 minutes, test for doneness by sticking a skewer if pink liquid comes out leave until liquid is clear. Remove chicken from the oven and add the remainder of the thyme, rosemary and other fresh herbs, baste the chicken with the juices and thyme and let it rest for 15 minutes on a cutting board.
9. Carve as desired and enjoy.