In honour of Earth Day, starting today and every Wednesday in April we’re counting down the best food, fashion and travel eco-friendly ideas we’ve ever heard. City Style and Living Magazine (CSL) has gathered easy, proactive and affordable tips from some of our past issues (the green ticker) so that you can stay green in the kitchen. Here’s to actively making small changes that can add up big.
Sustainable Kitchen Part 1
1. Only run your dishwasher when it is full.
2. To reduce food waste, go to the grocery store with a list.
3. Opt for the ideal temperature to keep your fridge – between 1-5°C.
4. Choose a front load washing machine which uses less energy and water.
5. Save grey water – the water used for rinsing dishes or taking showers – for watering plants.
6. Invest in energy-efficient appliances.
7. Reuse plastic bags from cereal boxes for crushing crackers to make crumbs; pounding chicken or for storage.
8. Buy fish lower on the food chain (mackerel, clams and squid) which are more plentiful than top of the food chain predators (tuna and swordfish).
9. Maximize your oven space by cooking more than one dish at a time
10. Use a toaster oven, or slow cooker for smaller dishes to reduce energy use
11. For your picnic or backyard party fill up glass or plastic pitchers with drinks and provide reusable cups to guests.
12. Opt for summer fresh salads, cold soups or other dishes that do not require energy use.
13. Repurpose food cardboard boxes to ship packages.