2 1/4 Cups Sugar
6 tablespoons custard powder
5 Cups Milk, Scalded
4 Cups Heavy Cream
4 ½ Teaspoons Vanilla (or simmer vanilla bean pod in custard mixture)
1. Combine sugar, custard powder and salt in a saucepan and mix custard powder in until completely integrated and smooth.
2. Gently bring to boil while stirring continuously until mixture becomes thick and smooth. There should be no lumps.
3. Cool for about 5 minutes and mix a small amount of hot custard mixture into beaten eggs.
4. Add this small portion to remaining hot custard mixture, cook for one minute longer.
5. Strain, and chill in refrigerator for about one hour.
6. Add cream and vanilla (if pod was not used).
7. Pour into ice cream maker and freeze as directed.
8. Serve with fresh figs.